Saturday 8 March 2014

Early March on Medium Wave

At this time of year, the early days of the month are when US medium wave stations are allowed to switch to their daylight power levels before local sunrise. This creates circumstances that favour eastern stations being heard by DXers to the west of them. Hence, may plan for this past week was to use the full bandwidth of my Perseus SDR to do top-of-hour recordings as dawn swept across the continent. Unfortunately, I accidentally set the Mestor scheduler to use the narrowest Perseus span so I missed most of the data that I was hoping to mine for new stations. That's not really so bad because I would not have had time to go through it all anyway. I made the same mistake recording a sunset interval for Hawaii. I should have checked the files earlier in the week rather than waiting until today to see what I had captured.

I found nothing new from the east or from the west but did hear KVIN "Vintage 920" in Ceres, CA for the first time. That was my first new MW station in a long time so my effort on that band was not totally wasted.

For the next few days I plan to focus on 640 kHz since KFI Los Angeles is the only station I have logged on that frequency. I have used my phaser to null it as well as I can and scripted Mestor to record that frequency every half hour between when the sun rises in Newfoundland and when it rises here on the west coast. I also set the Perseus up to look for Hawaii again as the sun sets there.

No comments:

Post a Comment