Sunday 16 March 2014

Not My Noise Sources

Most DXers are noise-limited. With modern equipment, what most commonly prevents us from detecting more of the signals we desire is the presence of unwanted signals (noise) rather than a lack of electromagnetic energy reaching us from transmitting towers in distant and exotic lands. Some of the time that noise is of natural origin (static) but, increasingly, the offending radiators are artificial. Some of the latter are simple co-channel or adjacent-channel transmissions but the rest fall into the "unintentional radiators" category. That's a polite way of saying RFI from consumer products manufactured with little regard for anything other than the immediate gratification of the majority of buyers.

On Saturday my local electric utility (BC Hydro) had a scheduled power outage in my immediate neighbourhood. Unlike most people around here, I was looking forward to the event. Never having had much luck at reducing my noise level by selectively turning off my own electrical devices, I was hoping that most of the buzzes, growls, and other irritating sounds found on LW, MW, SW would vanish as 30 to 50 households were forced off the air for a few hours.

As I have mentioned in the past, one of my favourite features of the Tecsun PL-380 is its digital readout of signal strength. Shortly before the outage I took the Tecsun to five different locations in my house and recorded the background noise on a set of 23 frequencies from LW to the 13 m band. Most of those were the ones that I use for my on-going noise survey of local parks but seven of them were ones that I included because they were near the centres of some particularly offensive broadband signals that I found on my Perseus SDR about half an hour before the outage. I repeated the measurements at the same locations during the outage and again after power had been restored.

Was I treated to a few hours of urban DXer bliss? Did I get metaphorically transported to some magical DXpedition site? Did I get to hear the ionosphere as it was before the invention of the square wave? Was I inspired to embark upon a noble quest to purge my home of switching power supplies?

No.

The entire exercise, though informative, was a disappointment. Within the limitations of my experimental technique, the noise levels were nearly identical before, during, and after the event. To me, the most obvious conclusion is that most of my RFI originates from my extended urban environment of millions of switching circuits, rather than from a small number of sources in and near my home. Of course, by using a 6 kHz bandwidth on each frequency, I sampled less than 1% of the RF spectrum below 30 MHz so I could easily have plenty of local sources that do interfere with my DXing but which escaped detection by my simple test.

One thing that surprised me is how little noise I found coming from the UPS that feeds a desktop computer. That observation gave me an idea. What I should do some day is switch off all power to the house and use the UPS to power my Wellbrook loops and the SDR while running the latter as a 40 MHz spectrum analyzer. That might reveal some nasty domestic RFI sources.

Although I do not plan to abandon proper RF hygiene, I do intend to put more effort into finding a quieter site away from home than into trying to make my home quieter. My noise page still shows the results from my early work on that but I have accumulated much more data since I generated its chart so I really should replace the graphic with one where each plotted point is derived from more measurements.

10 comments:

  1. Brian, your tale reminds me of a story I read in the early days of plasma TV. A Scandinavian DXer reported the noise at one or two km! That's why I am thankful for my remote Haida Gwaii cottage. It's heaven on earth noise-wise. Your next experiment should be interesting .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I was doing it I did wonder "What numbers would Walt get if he did this up there in Masset?"

      Delete
  2. My wife laughed at me when I insisted on bringing a portable radio to a cottage we were thinking of buying to see what the RF spectrum held in that area. It was (and is) thankfully quiet and you better believe that was the deciding factor for me in saying 'yes' to that place! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While the realtors are telling us about "location, location, location" some of us are obviously thinking "radio-location, radio-location, radio-location".

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian, that "HFspan" utility that comes with Perseus is perfect for checking out noise sources as well as coax cable/feedline evaluation. I like to use the 10 MHz window setting for HFspan, because I'm mostly interested in tropical bands DXing and TP MW DXing. Using this smaller window increased the resolution of the display and shows more noise (or hopefully lack of noise!) detail for the frequencies I care about.

    HFspan was very helpful for me when I was trying to decide if I should change my coax feed lines from high quality RG-58 to RG-QS6 (quad shield). HFspan showed that the quad shielded feedline was picking up a lot less local noise. To accomplish the test I needed to use a termination plug at the end of each type of coax, to see what noise was making it through the feedline alone.

    Despite the impedance mismatch (50 vs 75 ohms), the end result was better S/N for receive-only use, where the mismatch isn't a concern. If I was in a QRM free environment, with a receiver noise floor limited only by natural band noise, then I would care more about constant impedance the entire path to the receiver's antenna port. It's really all about the resulting S/N on the DX we are chasing anyway.

    For more thoughts on using the Perseus SDR to evaluate a receiving setup, please see my antenna review of the ALA1530 and RF Pro-1:

    http://dxer.ca/22-gadgets-toys-antennas-and-accessories/addons-and-peripherals/88-the-pixel-technologies-rf-pro-1a-and-wellbrook-communications-ala1530-active-loop-antennas-compared

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that idea, Guy. I have only run HFSpan a few times and it has never occurred to me to use it in that way. Coincidentally, I mostly use RG-6 here but just because I got a good deal on it at one time.

      Both of my loops are mounted on my fence, much like one of yours in the review, except with a view of neighbouring homes rather than sheep. In the summer of 2015 I will probably have to get the fences replaced. Since the loops will have to come down during that work, I plan to use that opportunity to re-evaluate everything and maybe even see if I can squeeze in one of those terminated loops that Nick, Walt, and others have such success with.

      Delete
  5. I had a wide spread power outage in my neighborhood -- and you know which neighborhood that is - generally my noise level is around S1 (or around -110dbm [I think that is the right conversion...]) but we had the power shut off for around 1 km around - and it WAS whisper quiet and it did sound like the West Coast of Vancouver Island... but this was a wide circle and not just a city block or so.
    No substitute for getting out to the country!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's encouraging. If a 1 km radius is all it takes then Island View Beach and a spot in Central Saanich should look pretty good once I get more data from those locations for my noise survey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An ODXA article once used the term "nomadic DXing" for taking a portable to a quiet site. That might lead to a good Twitter name like @DXnomad but I see that one is already taken.

      Delete